Monday, May 19, 2008

The Saddle

No, I’m not going to talk about kinky fetishes from Britain’s Regency era. The former madam story did not fly, and so that research has been set aside.

And that’s what I’m going to write about today. Setting things aside, and then getting back into the saddle.

When you read this, if Pam’s promises that it will post when I tell it to post turn out to be true, I shall hopefully be back in the saddle and writing again.

You see, I’ve been writing a bit here, a bit there, but really, have not been writing a whole lot. Why? Well, I let other things take priority -- it’s amazing what a complete lack of contractual deadline will do. I could launch into them all, but you’ve all surely heard the reasons ten thousand times from many a wannabe writer who just can’t find the time to write: back to work five days a week, needed time to play, intensive study course. Oh and the, “I’ll write during lunch time unless someone wants to lunch with me”, which was like, almost, every day, and when it wasn’t I was doing homework from the course.

Ahem.

The point is, I’m getting back into the saddle. I’m going down to four days a week pretty soon. The person I lunch with the most is moving to Virginia. My course is on a summer break.

And I’m gonna give my trusty (so far, it is rather new) AlphaSmart a good run.

I’ve the erotic romance story idea that needs another two chapters and a better synopsis than a set up and “Stuff happens.”

The full on fantasy novel that I started *cough* years ago because it wouldn’t shut up until a new contract silenced it, is making noises again.

I’m not sure which project I’ll take on first, but if it gets me writing again, I really don’t care.

And that’s where you come in, dear reader. The next time I post in a couple of weeks, I want you to ask me: “So how’s that word count, then?” or “Which story did you end up writing?” Make me accountable for my vow as blogged here.

I will get back in the saddle and write again.

I will get back in the saddle and write again.

I will get back in the saddle and write again.

Writers out there: have you ever fallen off your writing horse and needed to get back into the saddle again and start writing? What did you have to do to get there?

6 comments:

Sharon Page said...

Hi Celia,
Congratulations on getting back in the saddle! Sorry to hear the madam story didn't fly--I loved the idea.

My problem isn't getting in the saddle, I tend to write everyday. But when my writing isn't going as well as I'd like, I do get into avoidance mode. The only way I overcome it is just to get the butt in the chair and work. Letting ideas percolate helps too.

Productivity is something I have to improve. I did buy a small computer called an Eee PC so I can work outdoors.

Pam Rosenthal said...

I'm about the least productive of the Crumpets, I think (if you don't count rejected drafts. Channeling Smokey Robinson here: "I'm a choosy beggar.").

I think what gets me writing happily is the freedom to try something new and strange. Now that I've finished my November book, I've got about half a dozen strange new ideas in my head and a half-completed vampire story on my hard drive. Not all these ideas will pan out -- hell, maybe none of them will -- but I've resolved to spend all summer giving them (whichever calls the loudest to me, perhaps a different one every day) my best early-morning attention). And then to see what I've got and what it adds up to.

I like to imagine my inner choosy beggar holding up a frayed cardboard sign that says WILL WRITE FOR FUN.

Lacy Danes said...

Wow this is a hard one... I am actually afraid of this. Well the life gets in the way so I don't write mode, I am afraid of.

Sure I go for days without writing, sometimes weeks when life gets in the way, but up until now I had contracts and deadlines and such. Now I have none and I have recovered from the deadline hell I always put myself through; staying up until 2am writing when the kids are asleep. Now I am wondering… what to do?

I did start reading again. Usually this is what sparks my imagination; reading fiction and history books.

I would suggest doing some research intermixed with jotting lots and lots of ideas down and see what grabs and makes you start itching to write again.

I have no idea if that will work... but I think it would be my first try.

Lacy.

JRMullany said...

Oh this is so timely. I've been doing everything else but write and today I started a BIAW with my local chapter; not literally a book in a week--you set your goals, you report in, you write your ass off. And it's hard, particularly as I wrote about a third of this book a year ago and stopped because publisher A didn't want it.

Publisher B did, though. So I'm having to pick the book up at the point where I couldn't quite figure out what was to happen next. Generally my synopses contain something lame like "After many exciting adventures..." for this point. It's not a sagging middle so much as an unknown. I went straight on to the next scene I had in mind but I've a nasty feeling I'm going to have to come back and fill in a gap with...something. But meanwhile I have to just forge ahead.
In a couple of weeks, Celia, we'll ask you, and you can ask me!

Lil said...

*making note for verbal nudge on your next post here*

Unknown said...

I stopped writing just after my first book came out with Ellora's Cave in 2005. It was like having achieved my goal I was paralyzed and unable to write more in case I never achieved publication again-weird.

I gave myself a month off and by the end of that time I knew I wanted to write again and I had a whole new set of ideas.

Now, of course, I write to deadlines so the pressures are different. I've trained myself to write a minimum word count every day so that I'm not left with a huge amount of book to write in a way too small a time, because I NOW KNOW that the fates will conspire against me, kids will get sick, dentist appts will multiply, pets will go missing...

good luck Celia!