Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Yellow Room and Little Green Books

I started reading “the yellow room.” on vacation. It is a small book 80 pages in total.
Printed by the Olympia press. www.olympiapress.com if you have never been to this site check it out!

The story in itself is pretty interesting… the blurb on the back of the book says “Another classic account from Olympia’s later years. The yellow Room is the story of Alice Daryell, a young woman sent off to live with her aunt and uncle, there to be educated and disciplined, as it turns out by means of the lash.”

I seem to be drawn to those green covered books mostly written by anonymous persons… Does anyone else have that affliction?

At the beginning of each chapter in this book there is a quote.
Chapter one starts with…

“Come in” said Coupeau “no one will eat you”
L’Assommoir

I love that quote… and there are several more like it through out the book. I tend to like to put captions and such at the beginning of my chapters. So when I saw this I was instantly drawn in.

The story is filled with BDSM. A young innocent girl is sexually awakened by her “uncle” in the yellow room. (he is not really her uncle just requires she call him such) He birches her… uses a crop on her…restricts bathroom usage… and uses humiliation delightfully. All making her blossom and become aware of her sexual self and beauty.

The book has been a delight! (Thanks Lenora Bell for suggesting it to me)

I seem to have about five books sitting in some sort of half read state on my nightstand. A mixture of romance, erotica, and history books. This one I plan to finish tonight and put on my keeper shelf with the 6 other green books already residing there.

Hugs and kisses.
Lacy.

12 comments:

Sharon Page said...

Thanks for posting the link, Lacy, and your bedtime reading sounds very interesting. I love books with intriguing quotes that start the chapters--getting ones that intrigue and add another level of 'mystery' to the story is a real art. I used chapter headings for two of my books, Blood Red and Blood Rose, because the first few leapt out a me. But 27 chapters later, argh!

Lacy Danes said...

Sharon,
27 chapters would be a bit tough. My stories are short, so I have 10 chapters tops.

I did some looking into Olympia press, seems they have been around for quite sometime.

Lacy.

JRMullany said...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm really cut out for this business. I visited the Olympia site and found myself hooting with laughter at the titles.
The Big Snatch? Please. Peggy's Special Customers? And I didn't even have to go beyond the home page for those gems.
So, are they meant to be funny, Lacy? (I hardly dare use the term tongue in cheek in this context).

Pam Rosenthal said...

I did some looking into Olympia press, seems they have been around for quite sometime.

Well that remark made me feel old, Lacy. The Olympia Press was stroke central when I was in college -- though, in truth, I've never quite had the patience for hundreds of versions of what I call The-Birching-of-Miss-Pauline books.

You can read more about the press in the Wikipedia entry for its founder, Maurice Girodias.

Lacy Danes said...

Jane and Pam,
Yeah I like their Travelers Companion books(the green books). Beyond that I laugh at the titles, and even some of the titles of the TC books are funny. I have not read any of their other publications.

Eek! You are not old, Pam! Far from it.

The Press started in 1953, just under 20 years prior to my birth.

I was so sheltered in college. I didn't know that stroke material beyond Playboy existed. Blush.
I am being delightfully awakened to the world of smut much later than most I think.

Hugs and Kisses,
Lacy.

Lenora Bell said...

Hi Lacy, glad you like it. It's not for everyone, that's certain. So do you have a recommendation for me? I'm back in the States and looking for inspiration...

Celia May Hart said...

Hey are they all electronic or do they actually print them?

JRMullany said...

The Press started in 1953, just under 20 years prior to my birth.
Aaargh.

Lacy Danes said...

Lenora, Welcome Back!!!!!!
Hum recommendation... I love the Romance of Lust if you have not read it yet you should! If you have...let me know and I will let you know my other favs.

Hugs and Kisses,
Lacy.

Lacy Danes said...

Celia,
Yes they print them the TC series you can buy from the site or on Amazon. They are the Green covered books. The others I am not sure on.

Hugs,
Lacy.

Lacy Danes said...

Jane,
lol... Did I say something wrong?

Lacy.

Shelli Stevens said...

That books sounds really interesting! I'm not sure I could handle it though. Sigh. I'm so vanilla.

Hi Lenora!