Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hard to beat this...



I was all set up to post about a book I've been reading called The Romance Fiction of Mills & Boon 1909-1990's" by Jay Dixon when I re-read Jane's post and fell in love with the lovely imagery of the velvet and that beautiful portrait. I kept thinking about one of my favorite poems by William Butler Yeats which kind of sums up the lusciousness of fine fabrics and falling in love...



Aedh Wishes For The Clothes Of Heaven

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.



Author: William Butler Yeats
Online Poetry at PoetryFeast.com

I can't beat that...
I'll save the feminist discussion of romance literature for another day!

1 comment:

JRMullany said...

This is an amazing poem, Kate. Thanks for posting it.