Monday, June 18, 2007

It's all in the wearing of the trou...

I have a thing about the way men wear their pants.

Have you ever sort of noticed that some of them wear them...well...well, and others...not so well. It's not only the way they walk, but the way the pants hang from their hips and the way it covers their crotch.

A guy like Brad Pitt wears his trousers. See what I mean? Unself-consciously, yet fully aware of how he cuts a dash (to borrow a phrase from Mr. Brummel). I mean, Pitt owns those jeans. See?

And his good friend Mr. Clooney has the same appeal. Lean and long and cut perfectly. Casual elegance. Love it.

But then there's someone like Gerard Butler...and you know I think he's hot as hell (why else would I write a version of the Phantom of the Opera after seeing the movie?)...but the man's pants just don't look right on him. Ugh. Check this out: too tight, too short, just...not...right. Sorry Gerry.

So that got me to thinking about the men of days gone by, where they had to wear...well...breeches. I'm trying to figure out if I would have liked that...shall we say...insight into their...hm...package. Or not.

I mean...well, it probably was quite interesting and enlightening for the viewer (not to mention embarrassing for the man in question).

(And I thought Speedos were bad.)

I can only imagine how Byron or Brummel wore their breeches. Nicely, I'm certain. Quite nicely.

So what do you think? If it's all in the wearing of the pants....breeches or trousers?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm totally with you on this one! Some men wear the pants, and some men get worn by the pants (not a pretty sight). I do have to say that breeches are unforgiving, and pantaloons even less so. A man with spindly legs can put on jeans and still look hot. The same guy in breeches or pantaloons? Did we all see Major Dobbins in Vanity Fair?

Unknown said...

Kalen's absolutely right. I beleive some men in Regency times used to stuff their stockings to make their calves look more muscled and rounded.

the thing that gets me personally, is the idea of all that soft clinging leather...swoon

Kathryn S said...

First of all, I have to shake my head at the pic of Gerry. Usually he wears his clothes so well. And the leather speedo in 300...well, he made that thing *work*.

I've seen real Regency buckskin breeches at the Met in NYC, and they were TINY. These little wee leather pants. I can only imagine how snug they were. They made me think of Jim Morrison and his infamous leather pants. :-)

Unknown said...

Mmmmmmm, Jim Morrison. Wee leather pants.

Kathryn S said...

I hear ya, Kalen. lol

Janet Mullany said...

In a blatant piece of self-promotion, the heroine of my August release The Rules of Gentility fines herself a sixpence every time she thinks about how the hero looks in his trousers. She raises quite a large sum of money.

Colette Gale said...

Heee heee....I'd love to see me some Brad Pitt or George Clooney in Regency buckskin breeches. Yes please!!!

Thanks for coming by (I've been traveling all day).

Unknown said...

I'd love to see me some Brad Pitt or George Clooney in Regency buckskin breeches.

Then check out Interview with the Vampire. Brad's in breeches for the first part.

Kathryn S said...

Colette, if the movie Burns ever makes it to the screen we'll have the chance to enjoy Gerry in breeches. For now I'll have to content myself with him in those great shirts from Phantom. I still can't figure out why Christine chose Raoul...lol.